Backwash
LCH

LCH

Randomness in its true form--not unintelligible, just inconsistent.

[ Links ]

< ? blogs by women # >





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
11.16.2001
 

People That I Admire



I might add that these are the that I strongly admire. I like a whole lot of other people. These are just some very important ones in my life right now.


  1. Mom
  2. Grandmother Hobbs
  3. Nathan and Kevin
  4. Maggie and Kim
  5. Dad
  6. Mr. Hendrick
  7. Coach Brown
  8. Neal
  9. Clifton and Kristi
  10. Mr. Greene
  11. Mrs. Quattlebaum
  12. Mr. Short



Long list of people. I know. But don't worry, I'm going to explain all of them.

1. Mom


Well, Mom is Mom. I've known her ever since I was born, I guess. She gave birth to me when she was 36 years old. That's pretty amazing in itself actually.

No matter what we go through, my Mom and I always have a pretty good relationship. She understands stuff that I don't give her credit for. What I mean to say is, she's pretty cool. We relate pretty good. And up to this year, we haven't had that many arguments. Not to say that this year we've had an amazing amount of arguments. We've just been a bit tenser and grouchier. Personally, I think it's because I'm going off to college next year, and she's have pre-withdrawal symptoms or something. Heh.

I admire her because she's understanding. Because she listens to me, even when I won't listen to her. Sometimes we're more like sisters, than mother and daughter. She's a great cook, a great writer, a great person and a great mother. So I salute you Mom. You're the best. You're #1.

2. Grandmother Hobbs


Grandmother Hobbs is a very close second. She's my father's mother and I love her more than I can say. I call her Grandma. We have a bond that involves a lot of laughing and a game called Chinese Checkers. We get that game out and we play and we talk and we laugh. I only see her about once or twice a year, but I try to make those times count.

She recently went through a major ordeal of colon cancer. I was having everyone I know praying for her. Luckily, she got through that and there doesn't seem to be any cancer still poking its nasty head up. And if there was, she could get through it, I know.

My Dad says that he saw her recently and she is looking good. He said she's put on weight and that her rosy color is back. That's really wonderful. I'm not ready to lose anyone that close to me yet.

I admire her because she is a great person. I admire her because she is an awesome person. She's has a strong will, a wonderful sense of humor and gives great hugs. She always happens to be a marvelous cook who will give me whatever snacks or meals my heart desires. She's the greatest.

3. Nathan


Nathan is my second oldest brother. He is 26 and going to law school. He lives in Minnesota with his wife, Maggie and a sweet, little dog named Relffits. That's Stiffler backwards, Maggie's maiden name.

Nathan is one of the best two big brothers in the world. Trust me. Sure, they all have their ups and downs, who doesn't? Nathan does Hobbsblog, which you can find on my left side of my page, under "Blogs."

Nathan is . . .Nathan. Nathan, or Natie as I call him, is nine years older than I am. When I was twelve, he was twenty-one. Pretty big age gap, but not too bad.

I remember when I was a kid. He would get me to clean out under his bed with the bribe that I could keep anything cool that I found. He'd play with me with legos. Legos are cool.

Nathan is the really smart one. He knows all the trivia. He understand politics. He understands our legal system. I understand most of that stuff, kind of. But he understands everything. And he's always willing to share his knowledge with me.

I admire him because he's sort of the person that I want to be. Sort of. He's smart, funny, has a lot of friends. . . he knows where he's going, he knows who he is. So, he's cool.

3. Kevin


Kevin is my big brother. He's 28, soon to be 29 this Tuesday. He's eleven years older than me. I'm 17. I'll be 18 in April.

He lives in Oklahoma with his wife Kim.

He goes to OU, that's Oklahoma University for anyone who doesn't know. He's studying to be a Physicist. He's really, really, really, really smart. Especially in math and science. He's also an artist.

As he told mom and me. . .If work ever gets too hard in the lab, we just turn to each other and say, "Well after all, it is Rocket Science."

Kevin is cool because he's smart in all of those things that I am not smart in. He makes things like 100 averages in Calculus and gross stuff like that. (No offense to you Kevin!) Heck, if you're good at it, you're good at it. He's also a musician. He can fix cars. He's good with his hands. And as soon as he gets out of college, whomever hires him will surely love him and appreciate him as much as we do.

I admire you big bro.

4. Maggie


Maggie is a very smart person who makes a cool sister-in-law, and is a perfect match for my brother Nathan.

She's a cool sister-in-law in that she thinks I'm cool. She treats me like I'm a cool person. Emphasis on person. Not just annoying little sister, but person. Three cheers for Maggie.

She works for the Minnesota Wild, a professional hockey team. Another plus. I like hockey, yes hockey is cool. And my sister-in-law has something to do with the wonderful world of hockey. Yay.

She's smart. She and my brother were debate partners.

She's like the older sister that I never had. She's a good person to talk to about things like boys and brothers and stuff.

I admire her because she's neat and really nice. And I'm glad (and proud) to say that I know her.

4. Kim


Kim is cool too. She is Vietnamese. She's an awesome pianist. She's like the next Mozart or something, I swear.

She's sort of little but bursting with energy. She must have a really high metabolism or something, because she eats a whole lot, but stays really skinny.

I admire her as a person, as an individual. I admire her as a musician. And I admire her because she is really nice and one of the greatest sister-in-laws that I have ever had.

5. Dad


Dad is cool. He gave me a car. It's a nice car. I love it.

My Dad calls me everyday, rain or shine. Not that that matters particularly. But he calls me every evening to say hi and tell me that he loves me.

I admire him because he's nice. I admire him because he loves me and he buys me cool stuff.

6. Mr. Hendrick


Mr. Hendrick is an extremely complicated individual. If he could get away with it, he would have us all believe that he is a simple-minded old man, who is stupid as dirt and completely unaware of the world around him.

For one thing, he's not old. He says he is, but he's not. He's only 55. In my book, that's not old.

Oh and I might mention that he is my long standing band director. He has taught me to play the french horn over the past nearly 6 years. I started with him when I was 12 (in the 7th grade).

He is aware of things going on around him. Perhaps not on a technological standpoint though. He doesn't understand how to the work the internet or e-mail or things like that. But there are lots of people that don't know that either.

I think that he thinks a lot. He came up with a "Rate a Fall" test.

Here it is:


  1. How long did it take for your feet to leave the ground and your rear end to hit the ground?
  2. How many people saw you?
  3. How long did they laugh?
  4. How many cuss words did you say?
  5. Which direction did you end up?
  6. Injuries?
  7. How long did it take you to get up?
  8. How spectacular was it?


Then you’d figure it up and come up with your score.

I admire him because he is more than he seems. I admire him because he is the funniest man on earth.

For example, the other day it was raining, so he was trying to get out of the rain as fast as possible. As he told it to us, he jumped and slipped on a puddle or something. He hit the ground on his knees and his arms and his hands. He landed in a puddle and a muddy one at that. Then while he was telling us the story, he walked over to the trashcan and pulled out his shirt that he had been wearing. It was muddy, wet and a big rip through it. Only Mr. Hendrick. He figured that would have been about a 7 on his Fall Scale.

He has a prevailing all for one, one for all sort of attitude. If one person in band is allowed to do something, then we all should. We're all equals. He doesn't value one of us higher than the other.

A couple of years ago, he was yelling at us during band camp when suddenly, he swallowed a fly. He started hacking. It was kind of funny. He was okay though.

Whenever he gets mad at us (oh say, once a day), he usually ends up throwing something, falling off of something, kicking something, or all three at once. See, he's sort of . . . oh say, round. He's only about 5'8", and he is kind of big. He says that he is fat, but I argued with him and told him that he just plump. Or as he says, "pleasantly plump." Why am I telling you this? Well, it makes it funnier when he's falling off of something.

Lately, he has been really mad at the trumpets. Last year, our first trumpet tested and only made about 2nd or 3rd chair. So the whole bunch of them dropped out. Most of them graduated anyway, but there were a few that aren't old enough to. But they dropped out too. So we have some really dedicated, bad sounding trumpets. Okay, they don't all sound bad. I just don't think that any of them ever practice. Or else, maybe they just don't have any confidence in themselves. Because if they do play, you can barely hear them.

So Mr. Hendrick will be yelling and he'll fall off of his chair stand. Actually, he'll usually trip and almost fall over. Or else he'll throw his baton. Once it landed in the trashcan. Or the blinds. On this past Thursday, he kicked over his stool and called a code 7. Code 7's are bad. They make me nervous. If you talk, make any sound or he even thinks you might be thinking about talking, he gives you a gig. IF you get two gigs, you're out of extra-curricular band.

Then he also will throw down his glasses- on his stand, across the room, on the floor, up in the air. . ., no wonder he buys the cheap ones at the drug store.

He also doesn't get enough sleep. He can fall asleep as quick as anything. It's actually quite scary.

But that's not why I admire him. I admire him because he truly shows that whatever your obstacles are you can overcome them. You can overcome them with a smile on your face and a cheerful outlook on life. So that's why I admire him. He's one of the most important people in my life, especially right now.

7. Coach Brown


I've heard that you only get about one or two really awesome teachers in your entire lifetime. Coach Brown would have to be one of those. He is truly one of the best teachers I have ever had. And I'm not just saying this to suck up to him. I had him last year, my junior year, for AP U.S. History.


Comments: Post a Comment


Google
Try looking up "lastcrazyhorn."



Add Me!


Contact me at: lastcrazyhorn AT gmail DOT com